Tuesday, October 22, 2013

How Do You Spell 'Pretentious'?

L-I-B-R-A-R-Y.  That's how.

Standing in Ikea, talking about a Billy bookcase combination, I hear myself say the words, "That would look really nice in the library."

Who am I?  Just who do I think I am having a library in my house?  It sounds so hoity-toity.  So full of one's self (oneself?  onesself?  Clearly, I need a dictionary in mah libarry.)

So here's the thing:  We have an extra room in the house, just off of the dining room.  It's not large by any means.  In fact, it only measures about 9'x9'.  I really don't know what else to do with this room other than turn it into a library.  I like the idea of a quiet place to kick my feet up and relax and read a book.  Maybe fall asleep and nap, maybe not.

There *are* a few things that make this room whisper 'Make me a library.'  One, is the fact that this little room HASITSOWNFIREPLACE!  I know, right?  Can you imagine the chilly evenings spent curled up with a hot cup of tea in front of a roaring fire?  No?  Neither can I.  But I sure do love having that option should the situation present itself.



Secondly, it's got a big bay window (that is going to need to be replaced soon, but shhhhhhh! don't tell it, yet) and it lets the light just stream on in.



Lastly, and most importantly, we got books, yo.  Lots of them.  Like, MASSIVE amounts of books.  And they need a proper home in which we can refer to such titles as, 'Putting Anger To Work For You', 'Indispensable Calvin and Hobbes' and of course 'Great Cases In Psychoanalysis.'

My inner 13 year-old just noticed Karen Horney

What's left on my library to-do list?  I'm so glad you asked...


  • Install built-in bookshelves
  • Either paint wooden walls or create a plank treatment similar to kitchen
  • Build fireplace surround
  • New furniture (chaise? chairs?  La-Z-Boy recliners?)
I think it'll be a nice winter project --- now let me show you some of my inspiration.....

(via)
(via)
(via)
(via)
(via)
(via)
(via)
(via)
The strange thing is that after looking at my inspiration photos, I realize I'm all over the map style-wise.  Traditional, modern, transitional....  What would *your* style be?  What favorite book would you read in your library?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Say something.