Monday, February 4, 2013

Another One Bites The Dust - Part I (Before And After)

The dust is still settling on my most recent project.


In an effort to officially occupy Wall Street my house, one of the town's parameters is that my addition/renovation meet certain criteria.  One of those criteria is that the flooring be impermeable to water.  'Impermeable to water' can count as carpet, tile, sealed wood flooring, paint, etc.  Pretty much any flooring you can think of is acceptable.

I've been staring at a carpeting swatch for the upstairs hallway for a couple (or maybe it's been a few) months now knowing that we've budgeted to order it in the spring.

But I got a little antsy this morning.  Shocker.

It started with filling the gigantic cracks and knot holes with several types of filler.


Why several types?  Because I had an assortment available to me and I was just runnin' through 'em.  I started with wood filler, moved on to a larger gap filler (keep your mind out of the gutter), then finished up with a plain old spackle compound.  My goal wasn't to do a perfectbeautifulawesome job.  It was to cover the damn floor because guess what?  It sucks getting splinters in the middle of the night.  For realz.

And then, while I waited for the the fillers and spackles to dry, I did the unthinkable.

I went on Pinterest.

And searched 'painted floor'.

The heavens opened up.  Unicorns sprung from rainbows.  Fairies sprinkled glitter all over the land.


























Okay, can you believe the yellow and white flowers?  Seriously.  Seriously.

Remember how I said it wasn't going to be perfectbeautifulawesome?  Oh, it was on now.

But, like all good things, everything has to happen in steps.  I'm learning every day that awesomeness comes in layers.  I immediately regretted my first two layers.  I wish I would have spent more time filling in all the gaps and cracks a little better,  But, I didn't.  I wish I used a better first coat of paint.  But, I didn't.

Moving on.

I took my trusty palm sander and 100 grit sandpaper and got to work.


I went over every inch of the hallway and the haze proves it.


I swept things up, ran the vacuum and got ready to be locked out of the hallway for a couple hours.




{Hey, don't mind that bookcase.  Pretend you don't see it.  I planned on writing about how we built it later this week.  Act surprised when I show you.}

After one coat of paint, this is what I have to work with:





I'm undecided with the design that I want to paint on the floor. It's like a giant, blank canvas.  By town code, it officially satisfies the occupancy guidelines, but now it's time to take it up a level. Thoughts?  What would you do?  It's definitely an upgrade from it's previous life:


What's left to do in the hallway:

  • Hang guest bedroom door
  • Hang bathroom door
  • Paint all doors
  • Finish installing baseboards and trim
  • Paint a spectacular pattern on the floor
  • Hang additional artwork
  • Figure out what to do with the awkward nook on the other side of the column

What about you?  Have you ever painted a floor?  Any success or horror stories?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Say something.